BACK TO BASICS


Vince Lombardi walked into the Green Bay Packers training camp in 1961 to begin a new season of football, after having lost the championship game 17 - 13 the previous season to the Philadelphia Eagles. He gathered the team together, which was still smarting from the defeat, took a football in his hands and held it before them. He said, “Gentlemen, this is a football…” That year in training camp Lombardi emphasized the fundamentals of football for men who were playing at the height of their sport. That year the Packers beat the New York Giants 37 – 0 in the NFL Championship game. The 1961 Green Bay Packers provide us with a lesson for life. As far as we may go in life, we cannot forget the basics; not in sports, not in healthy living, not in our relationships, and certainly not in our spirituality.

It is helpful for us from time to time to make a close examination of our spiritual and moral lives. The season of Lent calls us to this every year, especially by making a good confession. The fact is, no matter how far we have advanced, we should be further along. How are we doing with the fundamentals? There is nothing more fundamental to the moral and spiritual life than the Ten Commandments. A close examination of conscience based on the Ten Commandments is a good preparation to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Included in the bulletin this week is an examination of conscience based on the Ten Commandments which I wrote almost twenty-five years ago. The Ten Commandments are always in vogue, so what I wrote then should still be helpful. Also, to help you get back to basics in celebrating confession, I have provided an outline of what to do. In the spirit of Vince Lombardy – a hall of famer who was an active Catholic, often attending daily Mass – let me point out, “Ladies and Gentlemen, this is confession…”

Step one - I make an examination of conscience, that is, a reasonable effort to remember what sins I have committed since the last time I went to confession. Sin can include things that I have done or thoughts I dwelt on that were wrong, and things that I should have done but neglected to do.

Step two – I repent of my sins. This includes regret for having offended God (contrition) and a willful rejection of what I have done wrong, with the intention, by God’s grace, to avoid these sins in the future.

Step three – I confess my sins to a priest. I begin by saying, “Father, forgive me, for I have sinned. It has been (a week, a month, a year, etc.) since my last confession. These are my sins…” I state my sins, indicating the proximate number of times I committed them and any aggravating circumstances that affect their gravity (for example, “I stole a cookie” is not the same as “I stole a cookie out of the hand of a five-year old”). I do not need to tell a story or give all the details, for example, “I was talking on the phone and she said…and then I said…and then she said…” It is enough simply to say, “I am guilty of unnecessarily arguing with my sister.”


Nota bene: All mortal sins must be confessed since a mortal sin separates one from fellowship with God and, if one dies with unconfessed mortal sin, one will be eternally separated from God. Mortal sin involves grave matter, which is an act or omission which is objectively wrong; for example, a transgression of one of the Ten Commandments or a teaching of the Church. It is done with an awareness that it was gravely wrong and with free consent of the will. Free consent means that there was no outside coercion. All three elements must be present in the act for it to be a mortal sin: grave matter, full knowledge, and free consent. If any one of these elements is missing the act is not a mortal sin; in this case, it is most likely a venial sin, of varying degree. Although it is not necessary, the Church recommends the confession not only of mortal sins but also of venial sins since there is a great spiritual benefit to the penitent, including sacramental grace. Nevertheless, venial sins can also be forgiven by other means, such as by doing acts of charity or by receiving Holy Communion with devotion. In normal circumstances, mortal sins can only be forgiven through sacramental confession.

Step four – I conclude my confession by saying words to the effect, “I am sorry for these and all my sins.” The priest might then give me some advice or words of encouragement. He will them give me a penance to do as reparation for my sins.

Step five – Next, I say an act of contrition, which is a prayer expressing sorrow for having sinned. The priest then absolves me, saying “I absolve you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” while making the sign of the Cross over me. In turn, I cross myself and say, “Amen.” The priest may then say, “Give thanks to the Lord for he is good” and I say, “For his love endures forever.” If he says, “Go in peace” I say, “Thanks be to God.”

Step six – I do the penance assigned as soon as possible and thank God for his love and mercy.


FATHER SCOTT  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING CONFESSION

THOUGHTS ON FIDUCIA SUPPLICANS, “ON THE PASTORAL MEANING OF BLESSINGS”

ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH